Travel Vaccine Clinic in Germantown, MD, Woodbridge & Alexandria, VA
Travelling is exciting, but it does not come without risks! Due to climate, development, and other factors, many countries contain dangerous infectious diseases that our immune systems are not equipped to deal with properly. Fortunately, clinics such as Medical Access Urgent Care provide travel vaccinations so that you can travel without anxiety about catching a troublesome illness!
Where can I get travel vaccinations?
If you need a travel vaccination, and live in Germantown, Maryland, or either Woodbridge or Alexandria, Virginia, you can get travel vaccinations at any of our Medical Access Urgent Care clinics. We offer all of the major travel vaccinations at Medical Access Urgent Care, including immunizations for typhoid fever, malaria, yellow fever, and more!
How much do travel vaccines cost?
Travel vaccines vary quite a bit according to the specific vaccinations required for the country you are visiting. The price of travel vaccinations includes initial consultation fees, which cost between $10 and $100; shot administration fees, which cost around $10 to $20 per shot; as well as the cost of the vaccine, which is charged per dose at a range of less than $10 to upwards of $150 per dose. Since some vaccines require more than one dose, the cost of a vaccine can cost up to $1000. For example, a typhoid vaccination typically costs somewhere between $85 to $300, and a yellow fever vaccination usually costs $150 to $350. In comparison, rabies vaccinations cost around $500 to $1000. If you are curious about our prices at Medical Access Urgent Care, give us a call at whichever clinic you are considering for a visit.
While many insurance companies do not cover travel vaccinations, it is worth checking with your specific provider. For a full list of the insurances we accept at Medical Access Urgent Care, visit our Insurances and Payments page, where you can also find helpful payment information.
What vaccines do I need for travel?
The vaccines that you need for traveling will depend on the country that you are visiting, and how long your length of stay is. Common areas of the world with either recommendations or requirements for vaccines include certain parts of Africa, Southeast Asia, India, the Middle East, Latin America, and the Caribbean. The following are a list of standard travel vaccine requirements or recommendations:
- Japanese encephalitis: recommended for visitors of certain rural parts of Asia who are planning on staying for one month or longer.
- Malaria: recommended or required for travelers to certain parts of Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America.
- Meningococcal meningitis: recommended for travelers to certain parts of Africa and the Middle East. Only required in Saudi Arabia.
- Rabies: Recommended for travelers staying one month or longer in certain parts of Latin America, Southeast Asia, India, and certain parts of Africa.
- Polio: Required by various countries in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
- Typhoid fever: Highly recommended for travellers to certain areas of Southeast Asia, and generally recommended to certain areas of Africa or Latin America.
- Yellow fever: Highly recommended for travelers to tropical areas of Africa and Latin America.
How often do I need travel vaccinations?
Some vaccines, such as the yellow fever vaccine, are good for life, while others are only valid for a limited amount of time. As such, the frequency with which you require travel vaccinations depends on the types of vaccines you need and how often you travel. The vaccines for rabies and Japanese encephalitis only last one to two years. Those for typhoid fever last three years, and those for Polio last ten years. When you receive the specific vaccinations you require, that information will be given to you on when they will expire and when or if you need a booster dose.
Come to Medical Access Urgent Care for all of your travel vaccination needs! No appointments are necessary, but if you wish to do so, please call us or schedule an appointment online. We have clinics in three locations, including Woodbridge and Alexandria, Virginia, and Germantown, Maryland.